History

This historic marker stands on Charles Street just north of University Parkway on the Guilford side of the street.

A National Historic District

Tuscany-Canterbury is one of Baltimore’s registered historic neighborhoods. It lies on land known in the 18th century as Merryman’s Lot and in the 19th century as Clover Hill. Merryman’s descendants divided and sold the Clover Hill farm in 1865 and 1869. The first development, University Homes, was built between 1916 and 1920 on Cloverhill and Canterbury. Tuscany-Canterbury continued to grow into a charming, eclectic mix of individual housing, apartments and condominiums. Most characteristic of the neighborhood are its gracious town homes that date back to the 1920’s. The neighborhood remained nameless until 1965.

What we know today as Tuscany-Canterbury developed slowly over a quarter of a century. Clover Hill dates back to 1714.

Ma and Pa Railroad 1901-1954

1901-1954

The Ma and Pa railroad went through Tuscany-Canterbury along the Stony Run.

From 1901 to 1954 the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad, affectionately known as the Ma & Pa, connected Baltimore and York, Pennsylvania, over a circuitous 77-mile route. The main line traveled northeast from Baltimore across the rolling Maryland hills through Towson and Bel Air. including its passage through Wyman and Linkwood Parks at the edge of Tuscany-Canterbury.

Read More

 

Canterbury and Tuscany street sign

Building a Neighborhood: The Golden Triangle 1914-1945

Tuscany-Canterbury as it is known today was built mostly between the two world wars. Its enviable near-downtown location and suburban character attracted families, retired people and Hopkins students and faculty. Education facilities met every need, from kindergarten through post-graduate years.  There was attractive living space for virtually everyone.  Little wonder realtors soon dubbed it the “Golden Triangle.”

Inner Core Residential Buildings

100 W. 39th St.  Canterbury Hall (1912)

104 W. 39th St.  Berkeley House (1920)

106 W.39th St. The Ascot House(demolished 1978)

108 W. 39th St. Woodcliffe Manor (1952)

110 W. 39th St. The Hopkins House (1970)

 

 

University Homes, 3900 block of Cloverhill and Canterbury Rds., Unit Block 39th St.

University Homes (1917-1920)

Construction occurred between 1917-1920 building the University Homes on Cloverhill and Canterbury. People moved into University Homes without much of an idea of how the surrounding area would develop.  The great mansions on Charles Street Ave were still there and eight or ten apartment houses had been constructed in the area.  The row houses were convenient and affordable, close to transportation and thus attractive to future homeowners. MORE

Stony Run Lane and Area 1915-1922

Tuscany Lombardy Community Corporation (TLCC) (1915)

Architect Clyde Friz constructed three apartment houses on part of the land he had purchased from the University Parkway Company in 1913.  These buildings were situated in a secluded, almost hidden enclave of the neighborhood.

The Lombardy Cooperative (1915)

The Tuscany Cooperative (1918); 

Gardens of Guilford (1922)

Detached Houses, Stony Run area

 

Tuscany and Ridgemede area

100 Tuscany Rd Bensch Home (1924), Tuscany Apartments (1960)

Calvert School (1924);

Castalia

Ridgemede Apartments (1940) Ridgewood Apartments (1966);

Ridgemede and Ridgewood apartments converted to condominiums (1991)

Townhouses on Tuscany, Ridgemede (late 1920)

Tuscany Court (1940)

Linkwood Rd. home of Clyde Friz (1925)

 

West Highfield Road

The short stretch of Highfield Road between Charles St and Canterbury Rd contains several houses with interesting history:

The oldest remaining house in the neighborhood

The home of Laurence Hall Fowler