History

Calvert School

Calvert School

Calvert School

Calvert School (1924)

Calvert School was not always located in Tuscany-Canterbury, nor was it always known as Calvert School.  In 1897 a small group of physicians, professors, and merchants promoted a “German Kindergarten,” based on the educational philosophy of Frederick Froebel, who empathized who motor skills, self-generated activity, and cooperative play.  Daniel Gilman, then president of Johns Hopkins University, was instrumental in finding Virgil Hillyer who became the first headmaster.  His vison and innovative philosophy of education, and teaching methods led to the Calvert School as we know it today.  Hillyer changed the name of the school to Calvert.  It outgrew the building on Chase Street by 1918 and moved to the “suburbs”.  The school purchased four lots for $21,000 at 200 40th Street.

Hillyer appointed his friend Lawrence Hall Fowler as architect for the new school.  Hillyer lobbied to change the street’s name from an undistinguished address To Tuscany Road.