The Lombardy Cooperative (1915)
In 1913, Friz purchased an irregular tract of land from the University Parkway Company for $12k to create a series of apartment buildings. The first, The Lombardy, was designed in an Italian Renaissance style of brick and terra cotta for $55K in 1914. It contained a supervisor and maid quarters on the top floor. In 1917, as cars gained popularity, he built a 10 story garage to its north to accommodate those of the Lombardy and Tuscany.
(Information assembled by Jillian Storms, AIA for Baltimore Heritage Inc. Walking Tour in May 2019)