History – Late 19th Century
The Late 19th Century – suburbanization began
There were several large estates along Charles Street Avenue. Residents cultivated about half the land and the rest remained forest. This was truly a rural countryside. The transition from rural to suburban was well underway elsewhere in the city. There was the growth of streets, railroads, and other forms of transportation. It was not until the 1890’s that suburbanization in this area started.
- Canterbury and Cloverhill was laid out into 35 lots.
- The Colonnade now occupies the tract that was labeled, the A. Gaddes Estate.
- Along Stony Run a millrace provided power for the Paradise Mill.
- A narrow-gauge railroad ran along the Stony Run.
- A quarry was close to Merryman’s Lane (Now University Parkway)
- Along Melrose (now Canterbury) were six small farms and about twenty houses and outbuildings.
- Half-dozen large mansions existed along Charles Street north of Merryman’s Lane.
Suburbanization began when Roland Park was built in the 1890’s. Guilford was waiting in the wings. Tuscany-Canterbury’s turn came twenty-five years later.
Link to Roland Park’s website https://rolandpark.org/about-roland-park/history/
Link to Guilford’s website https://guilfordassociation.org/community/history/